Looking for a Northern New Jersey Home? Call or Text (973) 489-7916 for immediate response!

New Jersey Architecture terms

Interested in learning more about New Jersey home styles and various architectural styles? Whether you are shopping for New Jersey land and planning to build a home, or searching the NJ MLS you should be familiar with some basic architectural terms.

Arch – A curved structure that supports a doorway or spans a path or roadway.
Beam – Horizontal structural load support used for floors but usually only visual as ceilings.
Bearing wall – A wall that is supporting a vertical load such as a roof, ceiling, floor, beams, joists, or girders.
Columns – Long pole like supports that hold up a roof or ceiling
Curb – A concrete or stone edging of a walkway or street.
Dome – An inverted bowl shaped ceiling, usually half of a sphere.
Downspout – Piping that carries rain water from a roof or roof gutter to ground level, the street or sewer.
Dumbwaiter – small elevator used to transport food from a kitchen to other floors of a building.
Eaves – The edge of a roof which overhangs the side of a building.
Façade – The exterior face of a building.
Face Brick – Decorative high grade of brick used to finish the exterior of an outside wall of a building.
Flue – The inside of a chimney through which gases and smoke travel to escape to the outside.
Gazebo – A freestanding, ornamental summer yard structure, open sided, roofed and usually octagonal shaped. Gazebos are designed for shade, resting and brief mild shelter from the elements.
Loft – An attack space built below the roof of a building, home or barn.
Masonry – Brick, concrete or stone work.
Portal – An opening in the wall of a structure or a large gateway. It is frequently used to designate a grand entranceway.
Refinish – To restore the top coating to its original state.
Sewer – system of piping that transports waste and rainwater away from a structure.
Shingles – Tapered, over lapping materials used for finishing roofs.
Veranda – An open roofed gallery or balcony.
Wrought iron – A soft form of iron usually used in decorative rails and gates.

Looking for a professional Architect, contact Gerri Leventhal.

Other Things You can do:     
Search All Homes Ask a Question Schedule a Showing

Speak Your Mind